Other Accommodation Reviews
More hotel details, photos and videos
We were a little apprehensive booking the Villa Oceania after reading a review written the previous year. Thankfully mosts of the problems with the villa included in the previous review have been addressed such as cooking pots and a net to retreave debris from the pool. However the most anoying problem has not! The pool pump is located below the master bed room, is extreamly noisy and starts up at 7:30 every morning. We found sleeping through the noise imposible; so if you like a lie-in in the mornings we couldn't recommend this villa. There are pool lights in the pool but these are set to come on after 11:00 pm, so not much use as you need to go to bed early because of the pump waking you up.
Our biggest gripe is that the villa is not located as indicated on the google map attached to Thomsons web site. The map shows it very close to the sea and it is not, so don't expect a sea view. You don't receive the actual address of the villa untill after you have booked.
Calla Forcat is not a very attractive place being extreamly built up, but it serves fine as a base to explore the island and has plenty of shops bars and resturants. Thankfully the villa is not directly overlooked and is in the best position of the 3 villa's on the development. There are plenty of dogs barking through the day time and evening so don't expect complete peace and quiet. We wouldnt recommend parking in the driveway as the kerb is very steep; the only time we tried it we scraped the bottom of the hire car. There are yellow lines both sides of the road so you have to take the chance of having your car towed away.
Overall the villa is a good size, comfortable and well equipped.
This could be a good place to stay, tucked away in a quiet area, but only a few minutes walk from bars, restaurants. Unfortunately the villa and area had lots of little faults that ended up being very annoying.
1. The villa is for 6 people but the hot water tank only holds enough hot water for 1 or 2 showers and then 30 minutes wait for more hot water.
2. The switch on the taps is stuck so you can not run a bath for young children.
3. There is no heating and we had damp weather and so by the end of week 2 mould was growing on the walls and inside the wardrobes in the two back bedrooms.
4. The pool pump is under the main bedroom and so when it comes on at 7am (we had it changed to 9am) it wakes the whole villa up.
5. Dogs, they bark continually through the evening until about 11pm and so keep young children awake.
6. Dog mess around the paths leading to the villa, there is some about every 10 steps. It seems to be cleared nearer to the centre of the resort.
7. The lovely beach shot you see in the brochure and online has been washed away by floods (currently being rebuilt) so 1.3km to nearest usable beach.
8. Cooking, there is only 1 small pan ( and 3 huge pots) and 1 baking tray, making it diffucult to cook unless you are feeding lots of people and only want to put one thing in the oven !
9. Ants, buy yourself a can of EROSKI Insecticide, you will need it !
10. Buy yourself a kids fishing net, you will need it to clean the top of the pool, as the ants like to commit suicide!
11. The cleaners do a basic clean, so when we arrived we had to clean the kitchen and plates, as the cooker was covered in fat and the plates still had bits of food on.
12. The cleaners come on a Tuesday at about 10am, so if the pool pump has not woken you they will!
15. There is not much to do for Kids when it rains.
14. You need a car.
Saying all that, Menorca is a lovely place and when we had good weather it was great to have the pool and we found some lovely beaches. You have the choice of both commercial tourist areas, or you can go find places (sometimes the best) where the Menorcans go. There is a vast array of places to eat suiting all tastes, and every place we ate was good quality.
Page 1 of 1
Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras