Important Information - Passports

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Important Information - Passports

What sort of ID do I require for travelling International journeys?

Passengers must hold valid ID with a photograph i.e. International Passport or EU National ID. EU National IDs must be valid for entry into the country of intended destination. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a valid photo ID. British Citizens must hold a valid 10-year passport. Please note that certain destinations insist on at least 6 months validity from the return date. UK Citizens can check out the website for passport, visa and health information,. Other nationalities should check with their own governments. 

It is also your responsibility to check whether you need a visa to enter your destination country.

For British Citizens, as of 5th October 1998, under 16 year olds are required to have their own passport. Children already included on their parents' passports are not affected by this change and can continue to travel on these documents until they reach the age of 16 years or the parents' passport expires or is amended. In order for a child to travel on a parents' passport, the parent must be travelling with the child. Although family passports are still valid, a spouse who is not the main holder must have his/her own passport when travelling alone. 


What sort of photo ID do I require for travelling on Domestic/Channel Islands/Irish Republic journeys

For domestic/Channel Islands journeys passengers must present one of the following forms of valid photographic ID:

  • Passport
  • Citizen card
  • Photographic driving license
  • Student Card
  • Forces ID Card
  • Airport/Airline Employees Security ID Pass
  • Police Warrant Card/Badge
  • Photographic Bus Pass

UK Citizens can find more information on passports on the website.


Where can I find passport information?

Visit the website for detailed, up-to-date information on passport validity, renewing and applying for passports. If you're a British citizen, you need a full, 10-year British passport for all holidays featured. Ordinarily holiday companies and the UK Passport Office suggest that passports should be valid from at least 6 months after you return. Each country, however, sets its own rules covering this. More information can be found from the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit.


How long does it take to get my first UK adult passport?

It takes six weeks to get your first adult passport, and you may need to attend an interview in order to protect your identity. If you need to apply for your first passport please try not to make any travel arrangements until you have received your passport. For more information, visit the website. For current processing times you can phone Her Majesty's Passport Office recorded message on 0870 521 0410. If you hold a Commonwealth or other passport, you should phone the consulate of the country you plan to visit. Please note that Her Majesty's Passport Office can no longer provide a Fast Track service for first-time applicants, however those who are renewing their passports do not require an interview, and can still use the Fast Track service.


If you are an adult (16 or over) and you need to apply for a passport for the first time, or if your name was previously included in your parent’s passport, you must attend an interview with Her Majesty's Passport Office in person to confirm your identity. This new process does not apply to you if you held your own passport as a child, or if you simply need to renew your passport. These procedures are in place to help stop fraudulent passport applications and prevent identity theft.


Explore Thomson