The city of water
Venice is a city that breaks conventions. Grand palaces teeter on the edge of winding canals, bridges seem to levitate over water, and whole streets disappear at high tide. More than 100 islands form the city, grouped together in 16 sestieres, or districts. Although this sounds overwhelming, it’s actually very compact. Add that to the fact the biggest sites are all close together and exploring is easy.
Basilicas to bridges
St Mark’s Square is Venice’s focal point. It’s towered over by an extravagant basilica, complete with five domes and more arches than you can count. You’ve also got the grand Doge’s Palace right next to it, plus the Campanile Bell Tower, which offers up unobstructed city views from the top. What’s more, it’s also a launching point for rite-of-passage gondola rides along the Grand Canal, with the Rialto Bridge just a short cruise away.
Once you’ve ticked off all the major sights, put away the guidebook and go off-piste. The city’s backstreets are easily navigated on foot and you’ll come away with a genuine insight into Venetian life. See the canals from new perspectives, peek through the doors of historic bookshops, and rub shoulders with the locals in waterside cafés.
Can’t pick between city sights and golden beaches? Don’t. You get the best of both worlds on a twin centre holiday. Spend a couple of days exploring Venice’s swoon-worthy sights, and then let nearby Lido di Jesolo supply the sands.
Combine 2 nights in Venice with 5 nights in Lido di Jesolo with your transport taken care of.
- Fly direct to Venice airport and head to desk 71 on arrival to meet your assistant.
- Catch a boat to Venice – either directly to your hotel or to the nearest pier.
- You’ll spend the next 2 nights at a Venice hotel of your choice on a bed and breakfast basis.
- After your city break, you’ll catch a boat from Venice to Punta Sabbioni, where you’ll transfer by minibus to your hotel in Lido di Jesolo for the next 5 nights – your stay will be on a half board basis.
- You’ll then catch a coach transfer back to Venice airport.
Places To Stay In Venice View all places to stay »
- 2 nights in Venice
- 5 nights in Lido di Jesolo
- Transfers included
Prices from £870 per personView details