These family-friendly apartments come with a laid-back pool scene and a reputation for first-rate home-cooking.
These bright, traditional-looking studios are only a 10-minute walk from the shops and tavernas in Alykanas. Ten minutes more will get you to the nearest beach – a sandy number that shelves gently into the sea.
The complex has a great pool. It comes with panoramic countryside views and a shallow children’s section. The neighbouring bar, meanwhile, serves home-made dishes, from British favourites to Greek classics.
Stayed at the Grapevines from 10-24 August. Been visiting Alykanas for some years now, but our first time here. We were over in May for a week staying elsewhere, and, having already booked for August, called in for a chat with Miri re rooms. In August we travelled as a couple during week 1. In week 2 our daughter and 3 friends arrived post A level results for a chill out week before Uni. Following Miri's advice in May, we e mailed Andi re rooms - didn't hear back but not to worry, as on arrival, she had sorted it all. We had a rather small room at the back of the bar facing out over the vineyards, All fine if a wee bit cramped at times. I should say that we asked to be accommodated separately from the girls and so probably restricted Andi's options. The girls got a great deal with two large adjacent rooms. Facilities basic, rustic and close to countryside. Glad to report that the princesses did "get" Greek life, and had a lovely time.
Poolside really tranquil. Andi cannot do enough for her guests - didn't meet her husband, but the girls did as he offered them a lift down to Laganas when they visited for a night out!
We ate in the bar a couple of times, and food was lovely.
This place is excellent if you have a realistic review of a Greek island and don't expect a 4 star hotel for guest house money, which, sadly some folk in resort seemed to. We loved it, and would go back tomorrow - might try for one of the bigger rooms next time just to make perfect even better! Couldn't thank Andi with a hug on our last morning as I had been stricken with the 24 hour bug going around and felt pretty awful... I send a virtual hug via TA!More
holifan2, Warrington Cheshire
A real let down...
We had very mixed feelings about Grapevines when we stayed here and I will be honest were bitterly disappointed when we arrived and were shown our box room. I have held off writing a review for a while as I wanted to be as objective as possible but am now sharing the good and bad points as these might help you when deciding to book a holiday here. We paid quite a lot for our holiday and felt that the accommodation represented very poor value for money compared with the many other places we have stayed in Greece. We wondered how we were going to get through the 2 weeks we had booked there. I strongly suspect we may not have got the room that we paid extra for when we booked but didn't complain as it would have been futile with all the rooms being occupied and we wanted to make the best of our holiday there.
1. Alykanas is a great resort with a good choice of restaurants and a long sandy beach.
2. Grapevines has a great location on a track just a short walk away from local restaurants and bars.
3. The pool area is clean and well set out with palm trees and other plants.
4. There are usually more than enough sunbeds for guests to use, though sometimes visitors from nearby apartments can make the area more busy.
5. Food and drinks at the accommodation are of a good standard and Greek/barbecue nights are quite good fun.
6. You can buy bottles of water at reception for a slightly higher price which saves carrying them from the shops in the resort.
7. Rooms are cleaned regularly but the cleaner does just like to walk in without knocking sometimes.
8. There is free wifi - we didn't use this much but it was very popular with other guests.
1. The room we stayed in was far too small. There was not enough room for the furniture let alone place to put cases down on the floor. The kitchen area was literally a foot away from the end of our double bed. We're not large people but the bathroom was also unbelievably tiny and the toilet badly placed meaning the shower curtain would stick to the edge of the toilet bowl. Not very hygienic. Though not the fault of the accommodation we got sick during our stay (probably from eating some mussels which were past their best at a local restaurant) and we really felt the size of the room during this time and the lack of any privacy.
2. The price of air conditioning was extortionate around 120-150 euros if I remember correctly and attempts to get by without it were futile (see below).
3. There is constant music played in the pool area until late which you can hear in your room unless you close the door... the music itself isn't a bad selection and not often repeated but it gets a bit wearing not to have a bit of peace after a while.
4. The owners' children might use your balcony as a bicycle park and won't care if your towels etc are there. They just need somewhere to put their bikes... your stuff can fall on the ground or just help cushion their handlebars. The boys are sweet when joining in with Greek dancing displays but give their parents a hard time and sometimes argue loudly - kids I guess.
5. Check in is very disorganised and there can be a long wait before you get your room. You will need to ensure you are allocated the correct room at this time or it will be too late.
6. The owners are friendly while you are spending money there but don't seem to realise your lack of inclination to do so arises from being overcharged for things like air-conditioning and total disappointment and perhaps even despair with the room you have been allocated. They often talk loudly about how much more money people in the UK make, this is how they see you as a guest at Grapevines - they want your money but lack the business skills to do this without making it patently clear!
If you find Grapevines as part of a late deal it may be worth staying here but please bear in mind some of the points above before booking. I hate to write bad reviews and hope that they have resolved some of these issues since we stayed there.More
Home from home! Perfect Greek hospitality.
We have just returned from another excellent fortnight at the Grapevines, a holiday haven, peacefully located in open countryside yet close enough to the village and beach and their amenities. Andi is a perfect host and nothing is too much trouble for her and her staff Mimosa (the meticulous cleaner)and Miri who is always entertaining around the pool and bar. Rooms and pool area are kept very clean and there is always plenty of space around the pool. Andi and her family have got it just right and so like many others we will be returning next year.More
Carlie774, Bristol, United Kingdom
cornish 4 ....... greek hospitality at it's best
We have just returned from 2 weeks at this wonderful hotel (09/09/14),From the moment we arrived we were treated as friends not guests by Andi , who greeted us.We arrived at 9 pm and Andi immediately offered to cook for us if we needed anything , which we did and it was great and excellent value.Having travelled as 2 couples we were given rooms 4 and 6 .Both rooms were spotlessly clean and well equipped, although room 6 was the smaller of the 2 rooms.Lovely balcony, 4 overlooking pool and 6 overlooking vineyard. lovely little touch ,a fresh rose in a vase in each room .the pool area was maintained to an impeccable standard by Miri and Mimosa , who also carries out maid service duties amongst other things and can only be described as absolutely amazing .The menu at the bar is quite extensive and as far as cost and value for money it cannot be beaten , but more important it tastes brilliant.Every Saturday is BBQ night , and involves the whole of Andi's family. Only 9E each it is a true banquet, and greek dancing is performed by Andi's sons,or anybody else Andi can persuade to join in .Do not miss this brilliant evening .No amount of words can describe the attention to detail, friendliness, caring or anything else that Andi and her wonderful family and staff give to her guests, who very soon become friends, and we can only say thankyou you make the Grapevines what it is. A true piece of Greek heaven .Basic Greek , not at the Grapevines hotel . Well done all .More
Annette N, Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Loved this hotel
I have just come back from a week at the Grapevines and it was fantastic. The owner Andi is a treasure, and made sure that we were happy and enjoying ourselves. Rooms are basic, but that's typically Greek, it was big enough for 2 of us. A nice furnished balcony was great for our morning coffee, or nightcap at the end of the day. It's a quiet hotel, but only a stones throw from all the shops, bars and restaurants, so you get the best of both worlds. We ate out every night, either in the hotel or other restaurants. At the a grapevines, we ate lovely food at very good prices. Happy hour is between 6pm-8pm, 2 drinks for the price of one. The pool was kept lovely and clean, as was the surrounding gardens. Andi has a BBQ on a Saturday night (9e) which is very reasonable . We had terrible flight times, and Andi provided us with an apartment to use till we were picked up at 2.30am! Which was great. I can't wait to get back to Alykanas and the Grapevines.More
Items marked with * incur extra charges which are payable locally
Prices displayed in the 'top places to stay' section are the lowest prices available departing within the next 365 days. All offers are subject to very limited availability.
All prices shown are updated once every morning and therefore could change at any time during the day. All prices shown are per person and are based on 2 adults sharing unless otherwise stated. When selecting an offer you will be asked to enter in the number of adults and children travelling, the applicable price will then be displayed based on your chosen party size.
All offers are subject to availability. Thomson reserves the right to withdraw these offers at any time and without notice. For full booking terms and conditions pleaseclick here
Save up to £400 per couple on September & October holidays – Saving offer applies to new bookings only on selected Thomson package holidays booked on thomson.co.uk. Offer applies to holidays departing between 01 September & 31 October 2014 and is subject to limited availability. Savings is against brochure price. Excludes flight only, accommodation only and any other booking type. Additional supplements may apply. Saving is based on a minimum of 2 adults travelling. Thomson reserves the right to withdraw or change this offer at any time.