Few cities on earth have the power to bowl you over quite like Rome. Discover a city packed with historical wonder, artistic splendour and culinary temptation at every turn. Not to mention enough designer shops to keep you browsing for a year.
• Relive the days of the gladiators at the eye-popping Colosseum. Big enough to hold 50,000 bloodthirsty spectators, it’s stood the test of time and remains Rome’s most famous landmark.
• All pillars and triumphal arches, the Roman Forum is another ancient showstopper. Wander among its ruins – it’s like leafing through the pages of a living history book.
• Head for the Vatican City, the heart of the Catholic Church. Feast your eyes on treasures like St Peter’s Basilica, the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, where Michelangelo’s ceiling masterpiece awaits you.
• Stroll down Rome’s most exclusive shopping street, the über-chic Via Condotti. Here you can hit the shops, taking in big name boutiques like Fendi, Valentino and Gucci. Stop for a caffeine fix at Caffe Greco, a Victoriana-fest of a coffee house.
• Follow the Da Vinci trail across the city, calling in at the Baroque beauty that is Piazza Navona and the citadel-fortress of Castel Sant’Angelo.
• Drop it down a gear with a bike ride around Rome’s most famous park, the Villa Borghese. Dotted with follies and fountains, its paths and avenues weave between great oaks and umbrella pines.
• Sit yourself down on the Spanish Steps and take five. It’s the ideal spot to write a postcard home or simply people-watch in the sunshine.
• And, of course, toss a wish-coated coin in the Trevi Fountain to ensure your return to the Eternal City.
SHORE EXCURSIONS► View all EXCURSIONS
Rome - All In One Day►
Similar to the Rome Express, this tour gives you the chance to visit all the major sites in Rome, this time you'll travel there in the comfort of a fully air-conditioned coach. On arrival to the Eternal City you’ll see famous sites like the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Venice Square and of course, the ultimate symbol of Rome - the mighty Colosseum. After some free time to enjoy lunch, you’ll carry on to the Vatican City to see the famous St. Peter’s Square. Created by Bernini, it’s considered to be one of the most beautiful squares in the world. You’ll also find here the famous Basilica where St. Peter was buried. Renaissance masters such as Michelangelo, Raphael and Bernini worked on its design to create an unparalleled masterpiece. This is an ideal trip for first timers to Rome.
Rome On Your Own►
Been to Rome and know your way around? Good with a map? Then take advantage of this coach transfer into the centre of Rome and explore the city at your own pace. A local escort will accompany you into Rome to a drop-off point in the heart of the city. On the way, they’ll give you a map and point out all the ‘must sees’. They’ll also tell you the meeting point and time for your return journey. With around seven hours free time, it’s ideal for anyone who wants to explore independently.
Express to Rome►
This is a very special tour that gives you chance to visit Rome on the Express to Rome. It’s a fast, private and luxury train, which is a new and exclusive way to discover the Eternal City. Shuttle coaches will be waiting to transport you across to the monument side of the city for the start of your guided walking tour that will take in famous sites like the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Navona Square and of course, the ultimate symbol of Rome - the mighty Colosseum. After a stop for lunch at a typical Italian restaurant, you’ll carry on to the Vatican City to see the famous St. Peter’s Square. Created by Bernini, it’s considered to be one of the most beautiful squares in the world. You’ll also find here the famous Basilica where St. Peter was buried. Renaissance masters such as Michelangelo, Raphael and Bernini worked on its design to create an unparalleled masterpiece. After some free time here you’ll reach the station, where your exclusive train will take you back to Civitavecchia.