Few cities on earth have the power to bowl you over quite like Rome. Discover a city packed with historical wonder, artistic splendour and culinary temptation at every turn. Not to mention enough designer shops to keep you browsing for a year......
Things to do in Civitavecchia
- Few cities on earth have the power to bowl you over quite like Rome. Discover a city packed with historical wonder, artistic splendour and culinary temptation at every turn. Not to mention enough designer shops to keep you browsing for a year.
- Relive the days of the gladiators at the eye-popping Colosseum. Big enough to hold 50,000 bloodthirsty spectators, it’s stood the test of time and remains Rome’s most famous landmark.
- All pillars and triumphal arches, the Roman Forum is another ancient showstopper. Wander among its ruins – it’s like leafing through the pages of a living history book.
- Head for the Vatican City, the heart of the Catholic Church. Feast your eyes on treasures like St Peter’s Basilica, the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, where Michelangelo’s ceiling masterpiece awaits you.
- Stroll down Rome’s most exclusive shopping street, the über-chic Via Condotti. Here you can hit the shops, taking in big name boutiques like Fendi, Valentino and Gucci. Stop for a caffeine fix at Caffe Greco, a Victoriana-fest of a coffee house.
- Follow the Da Vinci trail across the city, calling in at the Baroque beauty that is Piazza Navona and the citadel-fortress of Castel Sant’Angelo.
- Drop it down a gear with a bike ride around Rome’s most famous park, the Villa Borghese. Dotted with follies and fountains, its paths and avenues weave between great oaks and umbrella pines.
- Sit yourself down on the Spanish Steps and take five. It’s the ideal spot to write a postcard home or simply people-watch in the sunshine.
- And, of course, toss a wish-coated coin in the Trevi Fountain to ensure your return to the Eternal City.
Shore Excursions in Civitavecchia
Find out more and book excursions for your cruise