Thomson: The Next Generation

As if shopping for a holiday wasn’t sweet enough, we’ve gone and made it even better…

It’s quite exciting shopping for a new lipstick, let alone an actual holiday. That’s when excitement levels go through the roof. So, with this in mind, we want to make the whole experience of booking a holiday live up to this anticipation. To really bring it to life. As a brand, we’re pretty forward-thinking – even our HQ’s interior resembles the Starship Enterprise… if you squint – so it’s only fitting that our new shops are as cutting-edge as they come.

Our first next generation shop – location to be revealed next month – will open in late summer.  And by Christmas, a further 10 stores will be revamped in the innovative new design, and it’s planned that 100 shops across the UK will be ‘next generation’ within the next few years.

So, when we say ‘next generation’, what exactly do we mean? Glad you asked. Here are the key features of our shops of the future…

-    The shop front will have a giant video wall to show off new video content and holiday shots, combined with evocative sounds and aromas (no, not like The London Dungeons…)

-     At the entrance there’ll be an interactive map and table to entertain you, and help you research holidays by finding out what products we offer

-     The Advice Bar will give you the chance to browse our websites on self-service laptops with staff on hand to answer your questions

-     Free in-store Wi-Fi will let you use your own gadgets to delve into our range of holidays

-     HD screens and booth projections around the store will display changing images and videos to inspire you, and give you a feel of what to expect from your holidays before you book

-     The store will be zoned depending on what stage of choosing a holiday you’re at… you can sit around a laptop in the pool area (beachwear optional), prop up the Advice Bar, or settle into one of our booths, where pics from your chosen holiday will be projected on the wall. Excitement levels at this stage will be at an all-time high, we suspect.

-     You can also kick back with a barista-style coffee, because all that choosing between the likes of Mauritius and Aruba has got to be exhausting. We do, however, draw the line at foot-rubs.

We’d love to hear what you think about our next generation shops… tell us in the comments below.

About the author

El Berwick
El Berwick is an events planner turned travel blogger. Her idea of a perfect holiday would be a few days visiting her favourite spots in NYC, followed by a road trip up the New England coast staying at quaint B&Bs, and ending up on the beaches of Nantucket. Failing that, she’d be happy with a long weekend watching the world sail by in Salcombe, Devon. Connect with El on Google +

15 replies to "“Thomson: The Next Generation”"

1. Kevin Manning says: 23/06/2013 at 16:31

New shops look great hope to see the Metrocentre stores like this soon,i also booked my 2014 holiday with Thomson two weeks in Majorca staying at Hotel Hiati in Ca’n Picafort, flying from Newcastle with jetairfly are these part of Thomson ? great service as always from Thomson roll on 2014.

• Samantha @Thomson says: 24/06/2013 at 06:26

Hi Kevin, That’s great to hear, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Jetairfly are part of the TUI group. I bet you can’t wait to head off to Majorca!

2. alice says: 11/06/2013 at 20:40

i much prefer booking in my local thomson shop! if anything is wrong with my booking i have faith they can sort it out for me. i understand once its booked online the thomson shops cannot access online bookings. i would rather pay abit more for great service in the shop than having to stay on hold to a call centre to try help with me my booking!!

• Elaine @Thomson says: 16/06/2013 at 02:28

Hi Alice, It’s great to hear that you like to service of our shops. It’s correct that shops don’t have access to on line bookings. However you can still make payments with our stores if you book on line.

3. Pat Delaney says: 02/06/2013 at 17:05

We always book in our local Thomson shop in Scunthorpe although a face lift is long over due. It is the friendly staff that keep us going back, nothing is to much trouble for them and we always get a cup of coffee.

4. Thomas O'Meara says: 02/06/2013 at 12:04

Looks amazing, when’s this coming to Worthing?

• Lauren @Thomson says: 03/06/2013 at 02:11

Hi Thomas, Our first next generation shop – location to be revealed next month – will open in late summer. Keep checking our blogs to see if it’s going to be nearby.

5. Alan Haines says: 01/06/2013 at 17:50

its a great idea but what are the benefits of booking in the shop over booking on your web site when the price is quite often far cheaper online any way? also will the approach of your staff change, when i have been in one of your larger shops, they were more interested in booking what they thought rather than listen to me. However do like the idea of the interactive booths and a coffee bar.

• Adam @Thomson says: 02/06/2013 at 02:48

Hi Alan, Our shops and or website each have their own discounts that can be applied to bookings. You can always take an online quote into a shop for them to look at.

6. Neil Stopps says: 01/06/2013 at 17:26

I always book by the shop and My Kids will want to come every time now! Where will these new shops be and are there any going to be like that around Winslow/Buckingham/Milton Kyenes

• Adam @Thomson says: 02/06/2013 at 02:51

Hi Neil, We’re currently planning which shops will get the update, Hopefully one of the shops will open up near you soon.

7. Stephanie Lawson-Barnes says: 01/06/2013 at 16:48

I used to work for Lunn Poly, I did my YTS there and stayed 7 wonderful years!! It’s the most exciting thing helping people find the perfect holiday and sharing there excitement is immense. I’ve watched the shops change over the years and think this is definitely the best yet!!
    I’m now in banking and we are moving with these technological times and its great to see your shops will be so interactive!
    Your a great brand and provide fantastic holidays and these shops will showcase them for you!
    Good work Thomson!!

Kind regards

Steph x

8. Seth Hayward says: 01/06/2013 at 16:43

The new shops look amazing, cant wait til they come local to book my holiday!

9. Louisa sleight says: 01/06/2013 at 16:36

After visiting one of your stores today I have to say that I would like to see the currency exchange rates on show on aboard as they are at all other currency traders. I don’t want to speak to anyone I just wanted to know the rates and to pick up a leaflet about currency cards but I couldn’t do either of these things without standing in a long queue!

• Adam @Thomson says: 02/06/2013 at 03:45

Hi Louisa, Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’ll pass on your feedback to the retail team.