Thomson Airways Introduces New Extra Legroom Seats

We’re introducing extra legroom on board our 757 aircraft – and it won’t cost an arm and a leg…

Your holiday shouldn’t just start when you get to your hotel, it should begin the minute you step on board the plane. We get that. That’s why we’re introducing the option of extra legroom seats on our 757 aircraft this summer. More room to stretch out equals a happier you. Simples.

So, how much more legroom are we talking? Well, from the 1st of May you can get between 33 and 34 inches of the stuff (84 centimetres, for all you metric fans) when you fly short or mid-haul. We’ve introduced this new offering on board our 757s by removing existing seating and replacing it with the new extra legroom seats.

Up until now on short and mid-haul, the only seats with extra room on our planes have been located by the exits, where children and customers who aren’t fully abled weren’t able to sit. However, our new extra legroom seats are available for everyone – children included. So they’re ideal for families who want to collectively kick back en route to resort.

What’s more, when you book these seats you’ll get the added bonus of access to Thomson’s Select Your Seat service – which lets you choose your seat numbers in advance – at no further charge.

Carl Gissing, Director of Customer Service for Thomson Airways, reveals: “We are continually looking at new ways to improve our inflight products and service to ensure customers begin their holidays as relaxed as possible. Our new extra legroom seats are great for families and couples, offering 33 or 34 inches of leg room. At Thomson we want to ensure everything we do is tailored towards our customers’ needs, and our new extra legroom offering is another example of how we are doing this.

Thomson’s extra legroom seats cost from £35 per person for a return flight and are available to book from the 27th of March. You’ll have more room than you can shake a leg at. Ah, those leg puns never get old…

Tell us, is extra legroom on your inflight wish-list?

About the author

El Berwick
El Berwick is an events planner turned travel blogger. Her idea of a perfect holiday would be a few days visiting her favourite spots in NYC, followed by a road trip up the New England coast staying at quaint B&Bs, and ending up on the beaches of Nantucket. Failing that, she’d be happy with a long weekend watching the world sail by in Salcombe, Devon. Connect with El on Google +

1,324 replies to "“Thomson Airways Introduces New Extra Legroom Seats”"

1. Pam Simpson says: 11/07/2014 at 17:31

Hi, I have booked a four week holiday and paid for extra legroom. However, I see that I can’t reserve the seats for both the outbound and inbound flights until 90 days before the RETURN flight date. So, someone on a 7, 10 or 14 days holiday can reserve their seats on the outbound flight weeks before I can. Is that right? And, if so, is that fair?

• Jordan says: 12/07/2014 at 03:52

Hi Pam, You’ll be able to select your seats 90 days prior to your inbound flight. The reason for this is because at this stage the seat map for both your outbound and inbound flight will be loaded. You’re only able to select your seats online once both seat maps are loaded due to system restrictions. I understand your frustration and can only apologise for any inconvenience.

• Pam Simpson says: 12/07/2014 at 08:22

Thanks for your reply. So is there a possibility that all the extra legroom seats could be booked on the outbound flight before I am able to reserve them?

• Phil @Thomson says: 13/07/2014 at 02:00

Hi Pam, We only sell the amount of allocated extra legroom seats on the flight so there will still be availability for yourself no matter when you select your seats online.

2. shaun mellor says: 09/07/2014 at 15:46

Can you confirm which type of aircraft flies from Newcastle(upon Tyne) to Naples(TOM1505),reports I have seen from Seat Guru are giving conflicting information.We are booked to go May 2015 with extra leg room.It seems that there are only 18 of these seats available and we can’t book specific seats until a few weeks before we fly.How does that work?
    An early reply would be appreciate

• Christina @Thomson says: 13/07/2014 at 00:13

Hi Shaun, Could you please confirm the date of your flight? Once I have this, I’ll be able to check the exact aircraft currently scheduled for this flight route.

3. Elaine says: 07/07/2014 at 15:21

This will be the second flight to Cape Verde flying from Birmingham in November and I’ve upgraded my seats what will I be getting ?

• Christina @Thomson says: 13/07/2014 at 04:51

Hi Elaine, If you let me know your booking reference, then I can take a look into this for you.

4. Gary McQueen says: 04/07/2014 at 21:46

Hi, can you please tell me the difference between extra legroom & extra space seats please? I know this has been asked already but from what I read the only difference was where they were located. I’m looking to book Sharm for February next year & there is a £20 difference between the two so I’d like to know why it’s £20 more expensive for extra legroom!

• Amanda @Thomson says: 06/07/2014 at 00:32

Hi Gary, Our extra space seats are normally located by an emergency exit so that you don’t have seats in front of you and have plenty of room. Extra legroom seats are located with other seats however you’ll receive a larger seating pitch. I hope this helps.

5. natasha says: 02/07/2014 at 14:16

hi, i work for a tour operator
    please can you confirm what the difference is between extra space and extra leg room seats, what the leg room space for each, what seats under 14′s can sit in and what seats are allocated where? So we can advise our customer’s correctly? many thanks

• Jordan says: 06/07/2014 at 04:20

Hi Natasha, Extra space seats are located by the emergency exits and passengers have to be over 14 years old and fit and able to sit in them. Extra legroom seats are usually located at the front of the aircraft, and do not have any restrictions as to who sits in them.

6. jp says: 30/06/2014 at 16:53

flying to alicante on 9/09/14, from east midlands have selected our seats but want to upgrade to extra leg room but on manage my booking it will not allow me to do it,with x in extra legroom seats saying already taken yet on website it says there are 5 left

• jp says: 02/07/2014 at 11:28

sorted it thank you

• Amanda @Thomson says: 06/07/2014 at 04:22

Hi Jp, If you send me your booking reference to cares@thomson.co.uk we will be able to check the availability for this.

7. Jenny Riley says: 26/06/2014 at 13:08

Hello. Are the extra legroom seats available if you have an infant? Website mentions children but not infants specifically. It is offered on our booking but wanted to check first. We have infant and 5 year old. (Bhx/Pmi)

• Phil @Thomson says: 13/07/2014 at 04:12

Hi Jenny, Unfortunately we do not allow infants to sit in extra legroom seats. This is because they are in line with emergency exit doors and therefore, for safety reasons, we do not allow any passengers that may prevent these from being opened as soon as possible if needed. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

8. Jacob says: 23/06/2014 at 19:31

Hi, can you help me?
    My flight that i’m due to fly on (TOM2700/1 on 17th August) has a 2-3-2 configuration on the pre book seats page. Can you confirm that it will be a First Choice 767 please? Also if it is, will the flight have in flight entertainment like the long haul flights? My booking reference is …

• Phil @Thomson says: 12/07/2014 at 23:52

Hi Jabob, I can confirm you are flying on a 767 aircraft. Unfortunately our short haul flights do not feature in-flight entertainment.

9. Sophia says: 23/06/2014 at 12:29

I have booked a flight from manchester to cancun, I have selected the option for extra space, does this mean I’ll be able to selects my seats as well? I have looked but you can either select seats or buy extra room.

• Christina @Thomson says: 13/07/2014 at 00:53

Hi Sophia, That’s correct – if you’ve booked Extra Space Seats, then you will have the facility to choose your seat once you’re within 90 days of your return date. You’ll be able to do this here -https://flightextras.thomson.co.uk/. I hope this helps.

10. J murrie says: 18/06/2014 at 13:39

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    J murrie says:15/06/2014 at 08:01
    We are booked to fly from edinburgh to sharm el sheikh on 27th September for two weeks we have booked extra legroom but site says 757′s have xtra but no mention of 737′s which is the plane doing the route can you confirm where the seats are on the 737′s

• Elaine @Thomson says: 30/06/2014 at 02:27

Hi J Murrie, Thanks for your query. The extra leg room seats on a 737 on based in rows 3, 4 and 5. If you’ve got any further questions please let me know.

11. Paul Wheeler says: 17/06/2014 at 16:01

Hi, i am 6′ 5” tall and i have spent a fortune over the years paying for extra leg room seats. Last year i ended up sitting with a group of young people who made it quite clear that they hadn’t paid any extra for there seats. How is that fare. I will be flying in a couple of weeks and this time i haven’t booked these seats as i think its totally unfair. I will probably be squashed behind some 5 foot short person who has just dropped lucky or has plenty of money. How is this right. Surely extra leg room seats should be given as priority to those who need them and not those who drop lucky or just have plenty of money to afford them.It will be very interesting if i just won’t physically fit in my seat,

12. jp says: 16/06/2014 at 10:49

on manage my booking it says i will get email confirming what seats i have selected,i have not selected our seats yet as do not fly out until 9/9/14 and return 11 days later? is this correct?

• jp says: 20/06/2014 at 18:04

please ignore my question know answer

• Dan @Thomson says: 21/06/2014 at 05:21

Hi, When you select your seat numbers we’ll send a confirmation of these to you.

• Shane says: 28/06/2014 at 12:01

I picked our seats but still havent recieved the email comformation. we fly out on 9/9/14

• Phil @Thomson says: 13/07/2014 at 03:25

Hi Shane, I’m sorry you’ve not received this yet. If you could send me your booking reference, I’ll reissue a confirmation email to be sent to you.

13. Caz Woodruff says: 16/06/2014 at 10:25

I have booked a holiday to Egypt, Gatwick to Marsa Alam, BR in November and booked extra legroom seats. I have looked at your website about these seats and it states they are available on 757′s (Not sure which planes you fly to Marsa Alam). So being the planning freak that I am I took a look at Seat Guru to find out where these seats are. It looks as though there are only 3 rows of these and the third row may not recline. I have paid extra for these seats as my husband at 6′ 2″ struggles to sit comfortably in the standard seats and the recline facility is very useful. Can you confirm that this is the case with the seats?

• Elaine @Thomson says: 30/06/2014 at 03:10

Hi Caz, The extra leg room seats on the 757 are in rows 8, 10 and 11. The seats in row 11 don’t recline. If you’ve got any further questions please let me know and I hope that you have a lovely holiday.

14. Iain Fraser says: 15/06/2014 at 13:38

My wife and I have booked to fly to Corfu(30/10/14) and back from Tenerife (14/11/14) in our local Thomson shop. We asked for Extra Legroom seats, but I have just noticed that the paperwork says Extra Space seats. Usually these are beside toilets etc. where space is cut down by fellow passengers queing. I have recently found out that on 757′s there are new seating arrangements; both extra legroom and extra space; available. Will I be able to choose either when the seats become available 90 days prior to our return flight.

• Chloe @Thomson says: 21/06/2014 at 04:40

Hi Iain, If you could send your booking reference to thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk I’ll be able to look into this further for you.

• Dan @Thomson says: 21/06/2014 at 04:43

Hi Iain, We do have two upgraded seat options available on both our Boeing 737 and 757 planes. They are Extra Legroom and Extra Space seating. When booking your seats you’ll be given a choice of seat numbers from the seating option you’ve booked. As you’ve booked Extra Space seats these can be located at exit rows or bulkheads and you’ll have a choice of these seat numbers. Our Extra Legroom seats are located in a different set of seats and if you want to choose from these you’d need to change the seating option booked, subject to availability.

15. J murrie says: 15/06/2014 at 08:01

• Chloe @Thomson says: 21/06/2014 at 04:43

Hi J, If you could send your booking reference to thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk I’ll be able to look into this for you.

16. Stan Wood says: 14/06/2014 at 18:08

Hello, booking ref [ADMIN REMOVED], I have pre booked seats but was only able to select rows 22 and 21 as all the front seats were reserved, I prefer to sit further forward. Can you state what type of aircraft this is please? And is the final seat plan?

• Chloe.Charles says: 21/06/2014 at 03:23

Hi Stan, I apologise for the delayed response. Whilst looking at the flight plan I can see that seats 19 C , D and E are available for both your outbound and return flights. You’ll be flying on a Thomson 767.

17. Stuart Carlyle says: 14/06/2014 at 10:49

I posted an inquiry last week regarding aircraft type for my flight to Sharm el Sheikh from Edinburgh on 16/06/2014 and it has mysteriously disappeared. Can you give me this information ?

• Chloe @Thomson says: 21/06/2014 at 04:55

Hi Stuart, If you could please send your reference number to thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk I’ll be able to check this for you.

18. Valerie Smails says: 13/06/2014 at 13:21

Hi, would it be possible to let me know the seat plan for my flight from Newcastle to Rhodes. Departure date is ref no I have paid for extra seat space & would like to know were about on the plain I will have to choose from.
    Many thanks

• Chloe.Charles says: 13/06/2014 at 13:46

Hi Valerie, You should be able to view the flight plan by logging in to MyThomson. If you would like me to select seats for you then please email thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk and I’ll be able to do this.

• Valerie Smails says: 17/06/2014 at 15:17

Thank you so much for your reply. I have sent emails to you.
        Regards
        Val

19. Derek Ecott says: 10/06/2014 at 19:26

I paid by phone for 2 extra legroom seats and was told they would be in row 10 a&b. I received confirmation of my payment but nothing about what seats.
    my booking ref is (Admin edit) leaving on the (Admin edit) to Palma
    Can someone confirm what seat I have, I have asked travel agent and customer service nd they can’t tell me .
    What can I do. Thanks.

• Chloe.Charles says: 13/06/2014 at 11:18

Hi Dereck, I’ve looked into your booking and can see that you’ve paid for extra legroom seats, however no seats have been selected for you. Looking at the flight plan, I can see that extra leg room seats are still available on both your outbound and return flights. If you email thomsoncares@thomson.co.uk I’ll be able to let you know what seats are available and allocate these for you.

• Cat English says: 17/06/2014 at 21:36

I’d remove your booking reference Derek – anyone can use that with the information you’ve provided to get access to your info….. assuming you’ve put details like passport info in already, could come a cropper.
      Thomson – bit concerned you didn’t spot and mention this in your reply… data protection and all that.

20. Mark Sealey says: 09/06/2014 at 22:37

Extra leg room for all the family…..Great…UNLESS you walk with a walking stick…..We have been told today that extra leg room is only normal ppl and not anyone one with a walking stick….my partner had battled breast cancer for over 4 years…and has been told she is “fit to fly”….holiday booked to Turkey….however THOMSON have told her only Able bodied ppl can have extra leg room….Disgusting way to treat anybody never mind a Cancer survivor….The Media are going to love this one !!!!

• Chloe.Charles says: 13/06/2014 at 13:15

Hi Mark, It’s disappointing to hear you’re upset, some of our aircraft locate the extra legroom seats by the bulk head of the plane – this is where the emergency exits are located. Due to this, the passengers sitting in these seats would be required, if need be, to assist with an emergency exit procedure. Therefore these seats are unavailable to anyone under the age of 14, anyone with a physical or mental impairment or disability, anyone under the influence of alcohol and people whom may have difficulty moving quickly. These regulations have been put in place by the European Aviation Safety Authority and are for the safety of our passengers.

• Sal says: 15/06/2014 at 19:27

Following you comment regarding seats close to bulk head I am confused. On the seating plan of my flight the first 3 rows are blanked off, and I am therefore in row 4 aisle seat outbound and return. I am able bodied and have no illness or disability, so will I be sitting with similar passengers, or are the first 3 rows for the sick?

• Dan @Thomson says: 21/06/2014 at 04:11

Hi Sal, Sorry for any confusion, we offer two seating options with either more space or more legroom. Our Extra Space seats are located at exit rows or bulkhead rows, these have restrictions as my colleague has mentioned above due to passengers being required to assist in an emergency. Our other option is Extra Legroom where anyone can sit including children as these are located on normal rows within the cabin, but have extra legroom available due to additional spacing between the rows.

21. Mrs Jill hunt says: 08/06/2014 at 22:23

Can you tell me the difference between extra leg room seats and extra space seats please.

• Alistair says: 22/06/2014 at 05:30

Hi Jill, Thanks for your question. The main difference is that there are less extra space seats as these are situated near emergency exits and due to this more restrictions are in place, as to who is able to book them. Also for this reason you’re more likely get extra legroom seats together if you have a larger party as well. I hope this answers your query but you can also find further information here: http://bit.ly/1iwfLew.

22. Roger Pearce says: 05/06/2014 at 16:14

I am not lead passenger but I would like to buy extra legroom for my wife and myself . Booking ref.* cold you advise how I do this please.

• Sammi @Thomson says: 15/06/2014 at 04:43

Hi Roger, For data protection reasons, only the lead passenger is able to make amendments to your booking. If you ask your partner to contact us, we’ll be happy to add these on.

23. Ian says: 03/06/2014 at 09:22

I am looking to book a holiday with flights from Glasgow to Dalaman from Glasgow on 19th June (Thu 19 Jun 2014 15:35 22:05 Thu 26 Jun 2014 23:05 01:50). I am being offered extra space or extra legroom however I would like to know before I book either of these if we will be able to sit together. There are 2 of us.
    Thanks in advance.

• Dan @Thomson says: 21/06/2014 at 03:56

Hi Ian, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and I’m aware the flights you’re looking at have already departed. If we can be of any further help please let us know.

24. Susan Bell says: 03/06/2014 at 07:36

I have booked extra legroom seats but as a nervous flyer I am bnow a little worried we may not get seats together. Could I please ask if there is anyway i can make sure this is possible.

• Sammi @Thomson says: 13/06/2014 at 04:08

Hi Susan, Our ‘select your seat’ seating plan opens 90 days prior to your return flight date. Once you’ve reached this date, you’ll then be able to select your seats on the following website – http://www.flightextras.thomson.co.uk.

25. Jacob says: 02/06/2014 at 19:05

I was just wondering if you would be able to help me.
    I have been trying to find out what configuration my aircraft will be when I fly with you on the 17th August from Manchester to Larnaca on TOM2700. I have looked online and can’t find any help. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

• Sammi @Thomson says: 03/06/2014 at 03:40

Hi Jacob, If you provide me with your booking reference number, I’ll check this for you.