Breaking News – Thomson Cruises is going Platinum

A multi-million pound investment means it’s makeover time for two of the ships in the Thomson Cruises fleet.

Cruise Ship - MajestyIt’s all going on in the Thomson Cruises camp at the moment. It seems like only yesterday we announced the arrival of Thomson Majesty. And now we’ve got some more news to share with you all. Thomson Cruises are treating two of the other ships in their fleet – Thomson Dream and Thomson Celebration – to multi-million pound makeovers.

To go hand-in-hand with this, the ships will be joining the Thomson Platinum collection, which specialises in stylish holidays. Just like the hotels in this range, the ships had to score ‘good’ or ‘excellent’ with at least 90% of customers to make the grade.

To whip them into shape, they’re getting big image overhauls. Cabins are being dolled up with contemporary designs and techie toys like flatscreen TVs. The decks are getting an influx of smart furniture and stylish canopies. And, not to be left out, the bars and lounges are being kitted out with mood lighting and touchable textiles.

If all that doesn’t have you booking faster than you can say ‘ship ahoy’, a quick scan of the itineraries on offer will. Thomson Dream – first in line to get a makeover – will spend the winter flaunting its new looks in the Caribbean, flitting between places like Barbados, Grenada and the British Virgin Islands. Fast-forward to the following summer, and both ships will be doing the rounds in Europe, calling in at places like France, Greece and Turkey.

Want to know more? Visit the Thomson Cruises website.

748 replies to "“Breaking News – Thomson Cruises is going Platinum”"

1. Mary Harding says: 17/04/2012 at 20:22

Will the refit include new mattresses on the Celebration (as the one I had on this ship was incredibly lumpy and uncomfortable)?

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 20/04/2012 at 17:55

Hi Mary,

We don’t have any information on new mattresses but if we do hear anything, we’ll let you know.

2. Carole Bailey says: 16/04/2012 at 21:11

Hi there

Can you tell me if the Island Escape is caryying on next year. It is a fab ship and the staff and entertainment team are brilliant. I am going on there in 3 weeks and it will be my 3rd time. I went on the Thomson Spirit for the Canarian Escape just over a year ago and it wasnt as good. It is a smaller ship and had such a tiny pool

• Amanda @Thomson says: 19/04/2012 at 11:31

Hi Carole, Our Summer 2013 brochures are released on April 26th – So you’ll be able to see which cruises we have on offer for next year. I hope you enjoy the Island Escape next month.

• Grez says: 19/04/2012 at 18:07

Carole, yes Island Escape is carrying on next year, fully AI and with some new ports of call. This has been officially announced by Thomson.

3. val says: 16/04/2012 at 20:04

we have just been on Thomson Dream Latin Gems Cruise and had a wonderful time. It would be lovely to go on again next winter when it has had its makeover as my partner will be 60 on Boxing day .

4. Jean Tierney says: 16/04/2012 at 19:06

my freinds and i were booked on the destiny 4/5/2012 i have reservations about beingon the majesty as some of my freinds havnt cruised before i hope it will be as enjoyable as the destiny and not have any teething problems as i will be very dissapointed.

5. Anne says: 16/04/2012 at 16:53

We did our very first cruise this March on The Celebration. Wow, husband who never wanted to cruise has raved about it ever since. Although tired in places and I do agree about more comfertable matresses, the cruise and its facilities were exellent. The food was first class, the service was briiliant, ALL the staff were happy, kind cheerful and helpful, the entertainment was second to none, Bram, Josh, the dancers, the resident band….I could go on, but sufice to say I was so impressed that we are hoping to get back on Celebration sometime end of June. Oh and can you heat the pool and make sure that towels are lifted if left for more than 2 hours.

• Hollie @Thomson says: 19/04/2012 at 11:09

Hi Anne, Thanks for your feedback, I’ll make sure it’s passed on to our Cruise Team.

6. paul says: 16/04/2012 at 14:36

i have had over30 cruises on thomson ships over the last 5 years,hope
    you are going to keep the same good standard of the shows,when you
    go platium

7. Lynette Hayes says: 16/04/2012 at 13:56

Can we get a different answer than i am sure you will have a great time, i have been on about 20 Thomson cruises mainly as a solo passenger and have paid a lot of extra money for this. I had booked on the Destiny
    and were moved to the Majesty. No apologies just accept it. I have complained in the past when we had no toilets on the Destiny for nearly a week and told i am sure you had a good holiday, when talking to other passengers the followung year they had recieved compensation. If you compensate some passengers why not all.

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 20/04/2012 at 15:45

Hi Lynette,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been unhappy with our responses. We do understand that we have some customers who are unhappy with the change but we’re confident that all our customers will enjoy their time on the Majesty.

I’m also sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the response you received from our After Travel Team regarding a previous complaint. I’d like to assure you that the team do investigate each complaint they receive fully. But I’ll pass your comments on to the team so they’re aware of the situation.

8. Roger Watson says: 15/04/2012 at 22:07

This is excellent news and I am looking forward to seeing the ships after the upgrade. Our first cruise was on the Celebration lst September & was excellent. Bram and all on board deserve the highest praise. It was obvious the Celebration was in need of a facelift in certain areas so this is indeed good news.

9. Denise says: 15/04/2012 at 21:12

I have booked the Celebration for New Year will the refurbishment have taken place before i travel.We travel on 28th Dec 2012

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 17/04/2012 at 15:56

Hi Denise,

We’ve been told that the upgrade to Platinum will happen during October and November when the ship is out of service. Hope that helps.

• Denise says: 18/04/2012 at 21:27

Thanks, yes tis is a great help and made me look forward to this evenmore. Just booked for August on Majesty woooooo can’t wait.

10. Martin says: 15/04/2012 at 17:47

going on the dream on the 23rd december will the upgrades be done

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 17/04/2012 at 15:54

Hi Martin,

We’ve been told the upgrade to Platinum will take place on the Dream during November when the ship is out of service.

11. janice says: 15/04/2012 at 11:06

If I book before the end of the month for next March will it be cheaper than the new brochure price.

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 14:57

Hi Janice, We have a flexible pricing system, so our prices can go up or down at any time. Therefore, unfortunately, we can’t advise when it will be cheapest to book. I’m sorry I couldn’t help further.

12. Martin says: 15/04/2012 at 09:57

we are on the dream on the 23 december will the upgrade be done by then

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 11:15

Hi Martin,

I’ve spoken to our Cruise Team and the upgrade on the Dream should be taking place during November.

13. jo says: 14/04/2012 at 18:13

we want to book greek islands cruise summer 2013 which go on sale april 25th 2012 .As we leave for a med cruise on that morning will the cruises be available to view before that as we dont want to miss out on the best deals .

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 10:57

Hi Jo,

Our summer 2013 holidays are due to go on sale on 25th April and they’re only available online on that date and not before unfortunately.

14. S. McElhatton says: 14/04/2012 at 15:37

We are cruising on the Celebration next week doing the Red Sea Cruise and transition back to the Med. We were going to book on the Dream for next February on our return and we wanted to do a cruise and stay with the Barbados Beach. It does not seem to be available now. Is this because you are only using 4 star hotels now you are going platinum and this is a 3 star. Would it be possible to still book the Barbados Beach?

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 09:56

Hi S. McElhatton,

I’ve just spoke with our Cruise Trading Team and they’ve advised that we are currently in the process of reviewing which hotels will be used as part of the cruise and stay programme. Once we’ve made a decision, we’ll put the information on our website. I hope this helps.

15. Kalos says: 14/04/2012 at 11:55

Hi Amanda, We love the Destiny been twice this year and will miss her . When docked in Lanzarote the other week we were docked next to TUIs (part of the group) Mein Shiff 1 ,which was awesome.
    My question is this .. Will the end result of the platinum upgrades on the two Thomson ships be anything like this ?

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 10:40

Hi Kalos, As the refurbishments haven’t started yet, we aren’t able to comment on what the ships will look like. As soon as the ships are finished, information will be available on our website.

16. Rachel Cook says: 13/04/2012 at 18:14

Are there any plans to make the ships all inclusive at any point?

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 10:47

Hi Rachel, All Inclusive drinks packages are available to book as an extra on some of our ships.

17. Phil says: 13/04/2012 at 13:31

Have been put off booking on the Dream because of stories about smelly drains (and worse) in bathrooms etc. Will all this be sorted out in the re-fit? It was featured on BBC’s Watchdog I belive.

• Steve H says: 18/04/2012 at 18:52

Hi Phil,

My wife and I sailed on Dream in October 2011 having also been on the ship about 4 or 5 weeks after it was put into service by Thomson. A totally different experience – the atmosphere on the ship was much calmer and there was no sign of the general plumbing or air con problems that afflicted the ship in the early days under the Thomson banner. We had a really enjoyable cruise and the onboard staff were brilliant – as usual on a Thomson cruise. I would guess the makeover would make it even better.

18. Sue Gorton says: 12/04/2012 at 23:14

Hi we love the Dream and all her wonderful staff. Hope that when you upgrade you will be keeping the Baths in Outside plus cabins, its a treat to find a ship that has this facility without having to pay for a suite. Having some mobility problems I find showers difficult to stand in and the Dream is an answer to my prayers in that dept.

19. julie morris says: 12/04/2012 at 17:50

I’m looking to book a red sea cruise next winter – when will the celebration be undergoing her refit

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 11:17

Hi Julie,

I’ve spoken to our Cruise Team and the Celebration upgrade should be taking place during October and November. I hope that helps.

20. Roger Jesson says: 12/04/2012 at 13:48

Hi Amanda we are booked on the Dream, third time, next Feb can you confirm that this upgrade will not increase the prices.

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 16:40

Hi Roger, The price you confirm at the time of the booking will be the price you pay for your cruise. We will not be increasing the prices on any existing bookings. Hope that helps, and enjoy your time on the Thomson Dream next year.

21. Bradley Stuart says: 12/04/2012 at 11:43

Slightly confused – how long do you anticipate the upgrading of the Dream will take? You have said that the first platinum cruise will be December 2012 yet it is still possible (according to the Thomson website) to book the Colourful Coasts cruise on the Dream on 9 November – does not seem to leave a lot of time to do the changes you have announced?

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 11:22

Hi Bradley, We will be refurbishing the Thomson Dream during November 2012, when the ship is out of service. So, the itinerary you have mentioned above will take place before the ship is refurbished.

22. Deb Wisdom says: 12/04/2012 at 10:41

We’ve sailed on the Dream twice now, and each time have had a GREAT time. Crew & other staff really work hard. That said the Dream is looking a little frayed around the edges, so this makeover is being looked forward to by us, for our 3rd trip next year likewise our forward coming trip on the Spirit. We do hope the lifts are to be looked at. We’ve always enjoyed our cruises with Thomson, and hope to do so for many years to come. It would be nice if you went a little further afield, as we’ve been on most of the itineraries on offer. Well done to all at Thomson.

23. Andrea Roberts says: 12/04/2012 at 09:56

We are booked on the Dream – Colourful Coasts on 2nd November 2012. Will this cruise still be taking place as I understand the ship is having its re-fit in October/November ready to go to the Carribean in early December.

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 11:21

Hi Andrea,

The Dream upgrade will be taking place during November when the ship is out of service so you shouldn’t have any problems with your cruise on 2nd November.

24. Wendy says: 11/04/2012 at 22:19

Can you say when the new brochures are launched please?

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 16:49

Hi Wendy, Our brochures are launched at the end of this month. Not long to wait now!

25. stuart smith says: 11/04/2012 at 21:37

I hope that the transition of you going to platinum goes better than the introduction of the majesty. From my booking experience

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 15:54

Hi Stuart. I’m sorry that you felt the introduction of the Thomson Majesty didn’t go well. We do value your feedback so thank you for taking the time to comment.

26. Anne Hunt says: 11/04/2012 at 21:25

Does this mean some itineries become more expensive? I have only just discovered cruising after enjoying a great holiday on the destiny in January. I have booked to holiday on the spirit in October and was hoping to work my way through the other itineries and ships over the next few years

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 16:46

Hi Anne, Our pricing is yet to be confirmed, but as soon as the new brochures are launched you’ll be able to check all pricing and availability for our cruise ships and hopefully be able to look at booking the next stop on your tour of our cruise ships. I hope you enjoy your time onboard the Spirit later this year.

27. Elaine Woodward says: 11/04/2012 at 19:27

Can’t wait for the brochure – when do Summer 2013 cruises go on sale?

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 16:48

Hi Elaine, These will be on sale at the end of this month – so not long to go now.

28. Derek Boyd says: 11/04/2012 at 18:54

My wife and I and 2 friends have booked a Dream cruise in February 2013 for a 6oth birthday and 40th wedding aniversary. We have pre booked cabins 9022/9024 Will the platinum upgrades affect our booking. Apart from the upgrades,service are there any other items we can expect with being a platinum ship. Looking forward to another great holiday with you.

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 11:28

Hi Derek, Our cabins will be getting a refresh, so we don’t anticipate that this will cause any changes to your booking. If this was to change, we would of course contact you before travel.

29. Jan WILSON says: 11/04/2012 at 13:54

Hi you say all cabins will havve flat screen tv but some have theses and will all cabins have fridges in them .Not much photos of what is been done is there .Would like bigger pool would be great as the main one is very small

• Rhiannon@Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 14:40

Hi Jan,

All the information we have is what’s been posted on the Blog. But if we do hear anything else, we’ll be sure to let you know.

30. Patricia Foster says: 11/04/2012 at 11:39

Are you going to introduce facilities for DEAF people? eg.subtitled Tv’s-loop systems on Reception and Theatres with headphones will a neck loop rather than headphones for people to use who wear hearing aids in both ears.

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 14:51

Hi Patricia, Thanks for your comment. I’ll make sure this is passed on to our Cruise Team.

31. Laurence says: 11/04/2012 at 09:24

I assume that with the amount of work being done that Thomson Dream will be taken out of service whilst the work is undertaken. We’re cruising from Aug 11-25 and I really concerned that we’re going to told to cruise on another ship!!

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 16:24

Hi Laurence, Don’t worry – As far as we’re aware our cruise bookings will not be affected by this change, and you’ll still get to enjoy your time onboard the Thomson Dream in August. I hope you have a wonderful time.

32. lynn cobbles says: 07/04/2012 at 08:26

Why do thomson always buy ships that have had accidents even the new ship has run a ground In the past. I’m wondering when they will save money by buying new ships Instead of wasting money. And we the passengers have to pay extra for the refurbs.

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 17:10

Hi Lynn, We currently have modernisation plans in place which include the Thomson Majesty joining our fleet as the youngest member, and the refurbishment of the Thomson Dream and Celebration. We’re sure that these changes we’re making to our cruises will provide customers with an even more enjoyable experience onboard our ships.

33. steve hextall says: 06/04/2012 at 16:29

Hi, looking at your breaking news, is the upgrading to platinum for the Dream this seasons cruise 2012/13 or for next ?
    We have booked on the Dream for 23 June 2012 and wondering if these changes will have taken place?
    Regards,
    Steve

• Amanda @Thomson says: 09/04/2012 at 14:21

Hi Steve, The changes to the Dream won’t take place until December this year. But I’m sure you’ll still have a fantastic time in June.

34. betty mitchell says: 06/04/2012 at 14:14

will these be adult only cruises

• Amanda @Thomson says: 09/04/2012 at 14:19

Hi Betty, You’ll be able to find out details of any adult only sailings once the new brochures are launched.

35. Liz says: 05/04/2012 at 12:24

I am very pleased to hear that Celebration and the Dream are going to have significant up-grades and welcome the improvements you describe. They are over-due as although many public areas have been refurbished over the years and look very good, several areas do look very shabby e.g some cabin corridor carpets on Dream and really let the ship down. In all honesty this investment is needed to bring the accommodation up to the standard of other cruise lines – we are regular and loyal customers but have had increasing concerns about the lack of investment over the years. Although not mentioned in your press release, I would like to have confirmation that the en-suites on Celebration are going to be subject to this up-grade too as the mosaic tiles have let the ship down for years and seem to me to be the single most important issue to address. Also comfortable mattresses in all categories of cabins is something which should be a basic requirement – I trust this too will be included in the re-vamp.
    I would be very pleased to hear your response.

• Amanda @Thomson says: 12/04/2012 at 17:00

Hi Liz, The upgrades to the cabins do include upgrades to the bathrooms too. I’m glad to hear you’re pleased with the news, and hope you manage to enjoy some time onboard the Platinum ships sometime in the future.

• Liz says: 13/04/2012 at 07:20

That’s really good news. Thank you.