New ATOL Protection Rules Kick In Today

ATOL LogoWe’ve all read stories in the press about tour operators collapsing and holidaymakers being left out of pocket. It’s the reason why all Thomson holidays are protected by ATOL – a government-backed scheme that means your money’s safe when you book with us, and we’ll never leave you stranded overseas.

It’s also the thinking behind some new rules, introduced today, that mean more holidays now fall under the ATOL scheme. Under the extension, ‘flight-plus’ holidays – that’s certain breaks that combine a flight with another element, and are booked within a specific time frame – are also covered. According to the BBC, some 6 million holidaymakers will benefit from the change.

There are still plenty of holiday types that aren’t covered, though – if you’re only booking your flight, or going down the DIY route and booking your flight and hotel direct from each provider, you won’t be able to claim under the ATOL scheme. To find out more about the new rules, take a look at the full BBC story. And to read about full ATOL protection with Thomson, just click here.

33 replies to "“New ATOL Protection Rules Kick In Today”"

1. Navigate To The Site says: 31/07/2014 at 06:02

Thanks for spending the time to share this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading more on this. Keep making updates to your blog with more info!

2. www.dougstreeservice.com says: 31/07/2014 at 04:30

A great share, I have simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of similar research on this. He in turn bought me lunch because I found it for him… thanks.

3. Learn More Here says: 31/07/2014 at 03:39

My time consuming online search has finally been compensated with sensible details to talk about with my collegues!

4. pergola san francisco says: 31/07/2014 at 02:35

I was very pleased to find this site. I just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful post!

5. cupola says: 29/07/2014 at 16:50

This really answered the problem, thank you!

6. games in school says: 12/07/2014 at 05:02

Having read this I believed it was very enlightening.
    I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put
    this informative article together. I once again find
    myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and
    leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

7. Eloy says: 15/05/2014 at 18:12

I blog frequently and I really appreciate your information. The
    article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for
    new details aboout once per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

8. Hugh Van Lierop says: 02/02/2014 at 13:34

Hi, we booked a package for Dominican/Rep, fly from Glasgow, you cancelled the flights and offered us a full refund or fly from Manchester and receive a £125 in total compensation for inconvenience, on further checking, flying and booking from manchester would have been £ 450 cheaper than from Glasgow in the first place, I then phoned you stating I would be cheaper cancelling the holiday and having the total refund, now you are saying I cant. What all this is is a rip off in my eyes, you have not had the courtesy to match the price from Manchester and refund the difference, or significantly offer any further compensation in way of an up grade flight, overnight coasts, or anything!! and threaten us we would loose our deposit of £500…. you are not being very customer focused !!

• Sammi @Thomson says: 02/02/2014 at 15:58

It’s disappointing to hear this, Hugh. So I can look into this for you, can you please provide me with your booking reference number?

9. carol dunbar says: 23/09/2013 at 10:30

if i book a flight only to Naples from Newcastle will i be Atol Protected?

• Dan @Thomson says: 23/09/2013 at 23:51

Hi Carol, Our flight only bookings are not ATOL protected, only our package holidays.

10. Jane frost says: 19/09/2013 at 16:14

I don’t book with Thomson’s anymore.

I used be a shareholder years ago because I liked and trusted the company.

But due to recent let downs and appalling customer service( according to Thomson’s a booked balcony and sea view are equivalent to a ground floor room with a view of a bush and the pool in a room with no lock) I’m no longer booking with this company.

• Jonathan S @ Thomson says: 20/09/2013 at 00:36

Hi Jane, I’m disappointed to read your comments and am sorry you feel that you won’t book with us again.

11. Jim Smith says: 19/07/2013 at 07:57

Could you assist me with hopefully some reassurance please? Given the recent issues with the Boeing Dreamliner of which my family and I are scheduled to fly from Glasgow to Sanford on September 2013, could you tell me if circumstances dictate that the Dreamliner has to be withdrawn from service, what happens to my and many others’ flight? Do you simply replace the aircraft or refund the customers to then book other flights else where? Please advise?

• Lauren @Thomson says: 20/07/2013 at 15:32

Hi Jim, I hope you can appreciate that, as this isn’t a situation that’s occurred, we’ll be unable to advise on this. We’d like to reassure all customers however that we have every confidence in this aircraft and would never operate it if we weren’t 100% sure of its safety.

12. Emma says: 15/03/2013 at 13:11

we were supposed to be travelling on the dreamliner on the 24th june 2013. We along with others are not doing this now. We purposely chose to travel from Manchester to specifically fly on the dreamliner. As this is no longer available why can’t we change our flight to our nearest airport (Newcastle)? We find Thomson very unhelpful with this matter and the customer service is non existant!!

• Leanne @Thomson says: 17/03/2013 at 10:26

Hi Emma, You can change to a regional airport nearer to you, as long as there is a flight available.

• Emma says: 17/03/2013 at 19:36

Hi Leanne

We have spoken to Clare the Manager @ Thompson Whitley Bay Branch who has unequivocally told us we cannot change flights because the package we have booked from Manchester is not available from Newcastle.
        We are perplexed by this because an email from your programme change team states precisely what you said regarding only changing flights, the flight from Newcastle is on the same day as our flight from Manchester and we have confirmed there are seats available on it.
        We need someone to cut through the red tape and simply put us on this flight.
        Hopefully you maybe able to tell us who this person is?

Kind Regards
        Emma

• Stefan @Thomson says: 19/03/2013 at 09:33

Hi Emma, Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear you feel this way. As this is a shop booking Emma you’d need to deal with this through that branch. This store has all your details and they’d be able to contact us while you’re in the shop. Hopefully we’ll be able to sort this out for you. We look forward to your call.

• Emma says: 19/03/2013 at 22:15

Thanks Stefan, we are going to the branch on Thursday, again, are you guys from the customers team??
        And thank you for your quick response

• Adam @Thomson says: 20/03/2013 at 08:33

Hi Emma, We’re all part of the Social Media Customer Service Team. I hope the branch manage to settle you issue.

• Emma says: 21/03/2013 at 16:43

Hi Thompson,
        After following your advice to go to the branch and have them phone you on our behalf, we still find ourselves without a resolution to our problem. After speaking to the ladies in the branch it turns out the email sent to your Dreamliner customers is utter rubbish , as a different email was sent to your branches with a list of T’s&C’s that are not stated or referenced anywhere on the correspondence I received. I feel we are being a massive inconvenience for Thompson and are just being told no its not our fault it’s our system.
        I do not expect to be treated like a king, only paying customer and I only want what was originally offered in the email from your programme change team. I would like to be contacted personally by someone who has the authority to simply move us from a flight in Manchester to a flight in Newcastle, I don’t think it is to much to ask for.
        Emma and Martin Bourne
        Martbourne18@hotmail.com
        Booking ref 0300/23116

• James @Thomson says: 23/03/2013 at 13:23

Hi Emma, Thanks for your patience whilst we’ve tried to resolves these issues you’ve currently experienced. I’ve been advised that you’ll need to contact our Programme Change Team on 024 7628 0036 on Monday and they’ll be able to look into that for you. I hope that helps.

13. Cheryl Ridy says: 07/03/2013 at 16:15

Hi,just had e-mail saying my flight on the dreamliner is no longer. we only booked the flight to try this airoplane standard, we fly with virgin to florida normaly,i think 20 pounds is an insult.Is there any chance of an upgrade for the flights.both ways. our flight was meant to be the first flight on May 3rd. £1200. for return flights for the two of us .to have the flight cancelled on the dreamliner.is very disappointing.hoping you can do something for us, Can you let me know a.s.a.p.

• Dan @Thomson says: 08/03/2013 at 14:52

Hi Cheryl, I appreciate the disappointment that no longer flying on the Dreamliner has caused. To remain fair and consistent to all customers, we’re not able to offer any free upgrades. We’re refunding the supplement paid to fly on the Dreamliner, this is outlined in Our Agreement.

14. Richard Riddoch says: 07/03/2013 at 06:34

Hi our family are really dissapointed in this we booked our holiday for florida in June because i have fixed holidays. Holiday of a lifetime .We booked there and then because you hand flyiers of the new dreamliner you now have let us down £20 refund is a joke if you cant come us with the goods refund my money and i can book it when the dreamliner is ready .A REALLY ANGRY Richard Riddoch

• Adam @Thomson says: 07/03/2013 at 06:44

Hi Richard, No one could have foreseen these circumstances and Boeing is working closely with the FAA to try and resolve these issues as soon as possible. We understand how frustrating and disappointing this news will be for you. Unfortunately these circumstances are out of our control as Boeing has failed to fix the issues with its aircraft in time to meet our flying schedules. The supplement that was paid by all customers to fly on our Dreamliner was £20 per person.

15. Damian Crombie says: 03/03/2013 at 09:46

My family & I are booked to Fly to Florida with Thomsons at the end of June. We were sold the holiday on the benefits of flying using the Dreamliner aircraft and to be honest was the reason we never went shopping around because of this unique offering by the holiday company. As you continue to claim on the website ( which I think should be removed till issues are resolved) there are significant differences between this plane and alternatives on this route. If you are not able to deliver the goods as stated in the contract, is this a breach of this contract ? If so I assume I would be entitled to cancel with a full refund or be offered significant compensation. I am also concerned that there has been a lack of communication from customers services and that you still are advertising the Dreamliner on the website.

Damian Crombie

• Lauren @Thomson says: 06/03/2013 at 08:41

Hi Damian, Our planned Dreamliner flights have been removed over holidays departing in May and June from our website. In Our Agreement with you, we do advise that occasionally we may need to change you aircraft, if you need any more details on this, take a look online here – http://bit.ly/ZoPlwB. I can understand the disappointment this news will cause for those who were looking forward to flying on the 787 Dreamliner. Unfortunately these circumstances are out of our control as Boeing has failed to fix the issues with its aircraft in time to meet our May and June flying schedules.

16. P Annandale says: 22/02/2013 at 19:41

I do not think that answered the customers question Please state if customers will be due a full refund if they choose to cancel holiday if Dreamliner is not the plane being used. I have also booked a holiday on dreamliner to florida which was main reason for going to florida again as after last year having to fly in an old First Choice plane which was almost unbearable I swore never to go to florida again if I was stuck on that old plane, and that was in premium, I hate to think what it was like in economy. I contacted travel agent to ask what compensation would be offered if the dreamliner was not being used I was advised, £10 per person, what a joke. I was advised that I am not paying any extra to fly the dreamliner!!! aye right holiday costs £800 more than last year thats a lot of inflation.

• Joanne @Thomson says: 23/02/2013 at 09:30

Hi, We’re currently in the process of putting in place contingency plans. As soon as Boeing confirm our delivery schedule, should there be any customers impacted, we’ll contact those customers to confirm all details.

17. James lee says: 12/01/2013 at 18:17

What are your cancelation rules I’ve booked a holiday to America for 31 of us plus a wedding to fly on the new Dreamliner obviously with the problems with this new plane and that was one of the reasons I booked with Thomson I don’t feel like I could put my entire family at risk by flying on this plane I have all ready paid a 10,000 deposit would I loose this money if I wished to cancel please could you let me know ASAP yours mr r lonergan

• Lauren K @Thomson says: 13/01/2013 at 08:39

Hi James, Thomson Airways has an impeccable safety record and we have stringent safety standards in place across our entire fleet, which will of course include the Dreamliner when we take delivery this year. We are very confident that you’ll experience all the customer benefits of this modern and sophisticated aircraft and arrive safely for a great holiday with your family. If you wish to amend you booking normal Terms and Conditions will apply.